Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Just Wider.

There's nothing like a nice trip to make you appreciate home.  It may be a cliché, but it is entirely true; not only sentimentally, but on a purely mechanical, practical basis as well.

You see, travel is a great cure for tunnel vision at home.

Consider:

When you travel through a new place, your eyes are quite literally wide open.  You are trying to see everything: scenery, sights, architecture, roads, traffic, signs, lights, people, around the next corner.  Everything, and processing it all in context, too.  Not only is it vital to your enjoyment of a new place, it's vital to your being able to find your way around it.  You're also trying, since you recognize that your time there is going to be fleeting, to memorize as much as possible so that you can recall your visit again and again over the years and savour it properly.

Now at home, you've seen it all.  You know where the roads lead.  You've seen the people.  And yep, that's about the ten thousandth time you've passed by that historic building or looked out over that scenic reach.  Got places to go and people to see, and they're not usually the ones right in front of you.

So your vision narrows.  You wander around your hometown with blinders of familiarity on.

Then you come back from vacation, with your eyes fully retrained for take-it-all-in mode, your brain still in full process-the-context gear.  And pow!  I never noticed that before...

The way the hills lie on the far side of the lake.  The birds in the sky and animals among the trees and lawns.  The curve of the road on your drive to work.  The look of all the shops together on the main street.  The mix and mingle of people on the sidewalks.

And you start to realize, this is how where you live looks to a stranger.  No wonder people like to come here...

5 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Wonderful post, Allan. You speak to every traveller who ever returned home.

There is so much universality to this post.

Sandi McBride said...

My gosh, I can't believe that David and I are the only ones who have read this wonderful post...lucky us, but I have a feeling we'll soon be sharing since your Post of the Day mention at David's place...you are so right about this, by the way...I think from today I'll start seeing things in a different light!
Sandi

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I guess I do have a slight advantage being mildly agoraphobic and all. Once I finally do get out of the house, my eyes are wide open. I've been known to be enchanted by my own front yard.

Lovely write. Such a thought-provoking insight.

Suburbia said...

I found you at Davids. Lovely post, I have been stuck by the same idea at times!

Anonymous said...

I have a similar experience from April this year, dividing my time between city and country. I lived only in the city before then, and I hated it.

Now, when I drive back to the city I love watching the crowds and the shops and the cafes—even a traffic-jam is bearable nowadays; when I head to the country the air feels different in the nostrils at every different height, and I watch every tree and try to get its name, and in the morning when I wake I sense every different trill.

Oh yes, I agree with you totally.