Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Just Sparkles II.

Travelled around the Bay of Fundy today from Saint John to Bedford, where my namesake uncle lives.  We'll be here for the next two nights before we head to the Island for the wedding that spurred this trip.

I'm travelling with a bit of unfinished business - a story that is already past deadline - so I spent some time this evening sitting on the sun deck of his condo building, high atop one of the Bedford hills, looking out over the Basin and Halifax harbour in the distance.  Sailboats by the score crisscrossed the basin in the steady evening breeze, and I marvelled at how green the city hills are as I watched the birds flit from treetop to treetop.  I even got some work done...

Later, I rejoined my parents and my wife visiting with my uncle.  Dad thought he was seeing lighting flashing in the distance - summer heat lighting, sheets, no bolts, and we wondered if we were in for a storm tonight after such a beautiful day.  Al, Dad and myself decided to head down the hill to the nearest Tim's for a 'nightcap' (decaf, coffee with enough cream to turn it the lightest beige, and a tea, respectively) when we realized that anywhere there was a gap in the trees or houses people were lining the sidewalks looking out over the Basin.

Turns out that today is part of "Bedford Days", and a major fireworks show was being held.  Spectacular.  So that was the 'lightning' Dad saw...

Too bad the ladies missed it.

3 comments:

david mcmahon said...

You and me and your Dad, we'll capture lightning on camera one day!

Allan Cook said...

Sounds good to me, David!

Cheers!

Kirsten said...

I did not know you were named after your Uncle...